Satellite iPod, here is what Apple needs to do...
There is a rumor that Apple and Sirius satellite radio may be working together on a new iPod with satellite radio functionality. I sure hope this happens, because I am tired of FM radio (I won't even mention the names of the evil conglomerates that own all the radio waves) and want to get a sat. However I already use my iPod in my car and don't want to add another gadget to my dashboard. I am also an investor in Sirius, although I have not bought a receiver yet. I would buy a Sirius iPod in a heartbeat. (Note to Apple - please throw a cell phone in there too, or I am going to run out and spend money on the Treo 650 - which I would rather give to you)
Here is what I could envision with the Sirius iPod :
- Live updating playlists - as you listen the iPod could be recording the sat feed at the same time, much like a Tivo , so you could repeat the last song heard, jump back a few minutes in a talk show interview, etc. You could also see the song's ID tags to know the band, album name, etc.
- Flag a song for immediate download from sat (or if that is not possible, flag it for future download in iTunes). I can't imagine a better way to increase music sales, imagine being able to download that great song you just heard right away. I usually forget what songs I want to download by the time I get home.
- How about a short text description of the band, album, recent news of the artist, etc. Could be embedded in the song.
- iPod could remember what Sirius stations you like, what songs you liked (you could rate them while listening) and recommend songs by those artists or similar ones next time you sync up with iTunes.
- Schedule recordings, and be able to listen to songs stored on iPod's drive while it is recording something else (Tivo functionality again). Here we would need the iPod to wake itself in case you are asleep or away from the unit.
Anyway, I am sure there are many more ideas that I haven't thought about, but this could be a truly revolutionary product, and profits for both companies would be huge!! (hmmm....think Apple might want to buy Sirius? You heard it here first!)
Feel free to chime in with your thoughts, hopefully someone will read this!